Saturday, January 24, 2009

I'm Not Sayin', I'm Just Sayin'


From House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn:

"We had an election on November 4, and the American people voted overwhelmingly for the approach being offered by the Democrats," Clyburn said. "And I think my Republican friends ought to respect that." Asked if there was a goal number of GOP votes that would help make a vote on the stimulus look bipartisan, Clyburn offered a telling comparison. "I would love for it to be bipartisan, but I'll remind you that in 1993, President Clinton passed a package without a single Republican vote," Clyburn said, referring to Clinton's economic proposals. "It passed in the House by two votes, in the Senate by one vote, but a lot of people say it had the biggest and best growth in the economy that we have ever had and that was done without a single Republican vote.... Because it's bipartisan doesn't mean it will be successful. That's all I'm saying."

Exactly. The right policy and the most effective policy ain't necessarily the most bi-partisan policy. If the GOP wants to get on the Change and Progress train, fine. All are welcome. But that shouldn't mean that the train goes down the wrong track or takes a longer route for the sake of "bi-partisanship".

No comments: